Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Dublin Entendre. Part II


Day 2 - Jan. 3rd:
The second day began with free hostel breakfast (toast, coffee, amazing orange juice) and afterwords I showered. It was a glorious shower and felt like a new beginning. I was human again. There was absolutely no water pressure, but at least it was warm. Next, we walked to Trinity College which was filled with beautiful old buildings and had a cobblestone courtyard. That morning, it was essentially ice with little rock islands to grip on. Eventually a guard kicked us out of the courtyard due to the icy conditions. It is really interesting how they aren't used to snow and ice here (a cultural difference I didn't anticipate). There was even a guard by a set of three stairs to point people towards a ramp. Pretty surreal after the blizzards in Minnesota this winter.

Trinity College

For lunch we met with my second cousin, Megan Sammin. She took us to a crepes shop that she likes on a small street near a pedestrian mall. The food was delicious and the conversation was great. Megan was very kind and it was a fun to have a local opinion on things. I felt quite European sitting on the sidewalk eating crepes although it was fairly cold.

A tower in the courtyard at Trinity.

After lunch, we walked to the Dublin Spire, which is fairly new and 120 meters tall. It was pretty sweet because tall things are cool. Then we took a bus to the Guinness Storehouse and took the tour. It was super interesting and ended with a "free" pint at the Gravity bar which is the highest bar in Dublin and gives a 360 degree view of the city. The whole building has glass in the shape of a pint glass and the bar is the head of the beer. It would hold something like 14.3 million pints and apparently Ireland drinks that much Guinness in 2.5 weeks.

It is weird to see green grass in January.

From there we wandered to find Kilmainham Gaol but ended up off a block and went the next day. However, we did find an Emo petrol station. We tried our best to cheer it up.

 I cannot jump the distance, you'll have to toss me. (Gaelic looks like Dwarvish)

We snagged a pizza and some apples and went back to eat supper. One thing that is really nice about Ireland is that although they have a 20+% tax, it is included in prices, which makes for easier/quicker payment. That night we ate while watching the Arsenal v. West Ham United game. It is so nice to have football games on all the time.

Interesante.

I ran into my first dilemma that evening when my card wouldn't work at an ATM. I couldn't really call home or the help line as I have no phone and so I borrowed my friend hannah's phone to make a one minute call ($2) to leave a message for my mom.

So many churches.

Later, we went down to Gogarty's and then the Temple Bar that night for live Irish music and had a pint. I got to chat with a father, son and daughter from Spain in Temple Bar after they noticed I could understand them talking about Spanish football. It was really nice and the brother recommended an area in Madrid for me to visit. To top off the night, the ATM worked at the bar and I got enough money out to make it through the rest of Dublin.
Photo Binge:

The River Liffey


¿Por quuuuĆ©eeeeeeeeeeee?


My goodness, my Guinness.


If your bangs cover your eyes you get 10 cents off!

Final Dublin post coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment