Friday, January 1, 2010

El principio

Well I am currently sitting in the Chicago O'Hare airport and waiting for my flight at 8:35pm to Dublin. It was pushed back an hour and a half because there is snow in Ireland and they aren't as tough as the midwest. I arrive in Dublin in the morning and meet my friend Hannah Crippen and I am hoping that this delay doesn't complicate things too terribly.

I got on as a stand by on a flight from MSP to Chicago and have been here since 1:00 pm. I am getting a little bit anxious to get on the flight and I hope that I will be able to sleep well. I exchanged dollars for euros and pounds and it was incredibly painful to see how little I got back.

I haven't planned a whole lot for what to do tomorrow, but I have a guidebook that should serve as a good start. I am grateful that so far things have gone fairly smoothly. The plane ride from Minneapolis was pretty decent and I got in plenty of Sky Mall scanning. I was really tempted to get the $400 Lord of the Rings chess set or the $100 telepathy obstacle course (Maybe for Christmas). The best part of the international terminal is that I am surrounded by people from all over the world, speaking a ton of different languages. As a language nerd, I really enjoy it (Especially Spanish speakers).

Thoughts by Sean.

  • They keep announcing peoples names and nearly all of them are O'something or something-igan. 
  • My right foot is asleep and doing that uncomfortable tingly waking process.
  • It is incredibly bizarre to know that I will be moving at 500mph above the Atlantic whilst I sleep tonight.
  •  I just imagined myself doing that without the plane, just sleep-flying. Like sky-luging. Neat.
  •  I am really excited to do a jig. In Ireland. I know you all will be there dancing in spirit.
  •   I wish that the repetitive public service announcements in the airport would have excited voices or be sung in a little ditty. 
  • Have you gathered how bored I am yet? 
  • I would take a picture of the terminal to show you how thrilling it is, but I think people would be weirded out.
  • If there was no one here to yell at me, I would sprint on the moving walkways so that I could achieve maximum speed. However, reality would strike pretty quickly when I hit the end of it. 
  • Money belts are convenient. It makes me think there should be a new design and subsequent renaissance of the fanny pack.
  •  I think some of the TSA security workers just need a hug.
  • Almonds are dangerously delicious.
  •  In Minneapolis, this little boy was super excited every time a plane took off. I wish life was still that simple.
  • I think I saw a family that was moving to Ireland while I was checking in today. Either that or they just wear way too many clothes.
  •  It would be nice if streamers and confetti shot out of the plane when you landed safely. To celebrate science. 
  • I would like it if the stewards/stewardesses would stand in the tunnel to the plane while you ran through it and received dual high-fives like a sports team. (Pilot chest bump at the end)
  • Abu Dhabi. Say it. Real places shouldn't have such hilarious names. (Looked it up: It means father of gazelle. Fitting)
I apologize for the length and lack of focus in this post. It was my maiden voyage of blogging and I have yet learned to steer or have a destination in mind. Well I am going to go walk around a bit. I will blog again when I can (rhyme).

Paz,
    Sean

P.S. This may or may not be the dawning of the age of Aquarius.

4 comments:

  1. Love your random thoughts! Hillllarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Sean let's see if I can make this comment stick. I tried earlier today but I see it didn't show up. Enjoying reading your thoughts, random or whatever...We missed you bunches for the wedding, but decided to go ahead with it anyway. Pics are on FB! Happy trails to you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura and I are thinking of you daily during your travels. We also enjoyed your random thoughts, keep them up! Make some good memories, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy that you had a safe trip thus far...
    even though I am currently speaking with you, I hope your time in Dublin is enjoyable! Look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete